Envision On!

Thinking about the future, not predicting it.

Back to the Arrogance of the Present

One of my favourite books is Jonathan Margolis’A Brief History of Tomorrow”, (if you’re into thinking about the future like we are here, then you should really give it a read).  One of my favourite concepts from the book is something Jonathan refers to as “the Arrogance of the Present” – essentially identifying that it is hard to measure the future potential of new technology when all you have is a mind-set from the “present” from which to make the judgement.

In many ways it’s like the situation Henry Ford found himself in way back in 1903, asking for funding for his new project only to be told by the President of the Bank of Michigan that “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad”. Now with hindsight, it’s easy to sit here and make fun of that poor bank president and how stupid he must have been, but in reality, at the time that he made that statement, he was actually probably _right_.  His judgement on the future potential of Mr Ford’s ideas was coloured by his own understanding of the society at the time and his ability to understand how it may change.

Obviously we do not possess the ability to predict the future, but more importantly, we simply cannot comprehend the complex series of changes that society makes as it continues to evolve and therein lies our challenge.

We see examples of this kind of problem every day – many new technologies are misunderstood, dismissed and downright despised because we struggle to comprehend their role in a society that is significantly evolved from the one we experience today.

Camera phones are a great example of this – when they were introduced, I don’t know anyone that was inspired with excitement about the prospect of carrying around a poor quality, low resolution camera on their phone of all things.  Fast forward to today, when that functionality is poised to change the way society works whether it’s through citizens interacting with their local council on anti-social behaviour or augmented reality solutions that make a tangible difference to the way people are able to live their lives.

There are many more examples to illustrate the point but I’ll pick just two more – social networking and street level imagery – both of which are much maligned and misunderstood. That’s not to say they aren’t with their problems, but when we think about their potential it’s crucial that we do so not in the context of our understanding of today’s society, but instead by thinking about how they might work with the society of tomorrow.

Of course, that’s not to say we should blindly accept any new technological principle, but instead of constraining our perception of value and relevance, we must use our experience from the past to help inform the right way of getting the most from the future potential innovation by implementing it in a way that is respectful and cognisant of all we have learned along the way.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

48 Responses to “Back to the Arrogance of the Present”

1. [...] different view on personal privacy is _worse_ than the standard established by ourselves.  (Arrogance of the present [...]

2. [...] before.  What this means for us as individuals in a modern society is a classic case for "arrogance of the present", _we just don’t know_, because most of us find it hard to imagine a world of such [...]

3. [...] me, I did get an opportunity to talk about rural broadband, the humanisation of the web, and the arrogance of the present, I also managed to squeeze a tenuous Spiderman joke in and overall I had a lot of fun.  [...]

4. dukan diet says:

May I just say what a comfort to discover somebody
    that really knows what they are talking about online.
    You actually realize how to bring an issue to light and make it
    important. More people should check this out and understand this side of your story.
    I was surprised you aren’t more popular given that you surely possess the gift. Check out my website to get more info about low carb diets, if you like.

5. You have made some really good points there. I looked on the internet
    for more info about the issue and found most people will go along with your views
    on this web site.

6. Danica Maronge says:

Seven years ago, the camera-phone hardly registered. Indeed, on 17 June 2003, some idiot wrote in the Guardian that the low take-up of those newfangled 3G phones with their built-in cameras, launched two months previously, could be ascribed to the fact that “it’s not immediately clear what they’re for, and that mystery is not sufficiently seductive to make many of us shell out”. The writer all but argued that camera-phones were destined for the technological knacker’s yard, like Sinclair C5s, the Securi-Gnome and NiteMates slippers with their built-in headlights (all real products). With the benefit of hindsight, let me admit what a bonehead I was to write that.-

Look at the most up to date article on our new web-site
    <.http://www.beautyfashiondigest.com/essential-oils-guide/

7. I’m now not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend a while finding out much more or working out more. Thanks for wonderful information I was in search of this info for my mission.

8. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you
    could be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the foreseeable future.

I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts,
    have a nice morning!

9. xbox 360 says:

Hello there, I just wanted to see if you ever have had any problems with hackers?
    My last drupal blog at http://www.theenvisioners.com/index.
    php/2011/03/18/back-to-the-arrogance-of-the-present/ was hacked and
    I ended up losing eight weeks of hard work due to no backup.
    Do you have any tips to stop
    Can I just say what a comfort it is to find somebody that truthfully has expertise in what they are speaking about on
    the internet. I have to say: you genuinely comprehend in what ways
    to bring this problem to light and make it significant You really should put yourself out there more so that more individuals can see your perspective.

. I want to see you become more popular, because you really have
    something special to provide. I must ask though, but exactly where did you obtain your blog format:
    did you find it elsewhere or did you create it
    by yourself? With a theme like the one you have, my blog could
    really stand out more. Please inform me the place where you found your look.

10. Contact us says:

Nice response in return of this issue with real arguments and telling the whole thing concerning that.

11. Both drugs have also been denied FDA approval the first time around and are awaiting news on their second
    attempt. Withdrawal from levothyroxine can be done but it takes 6 weeks of withdrawal for the remaining thyroid tissue
    to be completely starved. Hence, broccoli is a
    must-add ingredient in your vegetarian weight loss diet.

12. Lon says:

Multiplayer versions is more exciting as in this,
    you’ll be able to team up or even contend with other participants to defeat the enemies. This way you are not disappointed when you get residence, and you won’t
    have to make a excursion back to the shop.
    Well, you can have that same chess engine on your
    Android mobile phone, courtesy of Droid – Fish.

13. Brittany says:

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you’ve presented on your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

14. Cake should be sturdy enough, but you can insert wooden dowels or toothpicks on each
    layer before icing. I find it the easiest to sift the flour and other dry ingredients before I start with the creaming of the butter and sugar.
    Next thing to do is to pour the space cake batter into the pan & put it in the oven for about
    25 minutes.

15. Rhea says:

The variations can easily be adapted to envelop stir-fry with an
    oriental flavor, curries for Indian fare and used to serve spinach
    and other dips for family gatherings and parties.
    Cut the red bell pepper into 1 inch pieces, chop the red onion,
    and shred the carrots into the mixing bowl with the other vegetables and chicken.
    Sprinkle white pepper, curry and a touch spicy seasoning onto the paper plate.

16. The starting of the cake toppers was done with the wedding cakes, but with
    time and huge popularity, it became a part of decoration in
    many other occasions where cake is used.
    This suggests banks will be in a position to borrow cash
    from the central authority at low rates and subsequently, they are going to be
    able to offer low interest private loans. It is best to use good quality
    filtered coffee in this recipe.

17. you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster. The site
    loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique
    trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork.

you have performed a great process on this subject!

18. ロンシャン表参道

28. mcm visetos says:

ロンシャンキャリーバッグ

29. ダンヒル横浜そごう

30. ダンヒル評判

31. 財布 mcm says:

ロンシャンlongchamp

32. 9) Format: Classic Rock One of the other consistently top-rated stations in the area, as well as the oldest station in the
    market. The Nokia 5030 Xpress – Radio in red color is the most popular phone among Nokia low
    budget phone lovers. This depression can eventually lead to
    chronic depression which will not go away and might eventually bring about thoughts of suicide.

33. Romaine says:

Wonderfully written peice with good points throughout.
    Congratulations you will have a regular visitor haha

34. THB Bury9 to many more such as THB Bury 9068, 9058, 9060
    and along with these a few more. The babies are born with no fur, fused toes, and closed eyes and ears.
    How about getting some friends together and setting up some walking time.

35. We know from Second Corinthians 5:21 that says; for he who knew
    no sin became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of
    God in him. There are many ways to choose a freelance
    graphic design artist. Add on many of the freely available apps and you have a fully functioning business tool.

36. A good thing is to invest in is the exclusive rubber wood kitchen cabinets from
    orange. Driven caused by never-ending drive to reach ahead of
    expectations in a amount of high quality living.

Utilize microwave suitable utensils to be able to maximize your microwave food
    cooking capabilities.

37. Jeffry says:

So you might be able to get a better deal if you take some time to check out several sites and
    compare the prices they offer. They don’t actually contain any human growth hormone as this is not a viable method of introducing it into the body.
    Bedding can be a carrier for bugs, lice, or other nasty things that you don’t want in your home.

38. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and amusing, and let me tell
    you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy I stumbled across this in my hunt for
    something regarding this.

Stop by my web page – klicken sie sich durch die bis kommenden internet-seite

39. This is my first time visit at here and i am genuinely pleassant to read
    everthing at one place.

40. The kind of services deals transcribing general hospital dentistry, subspecialties of
    dental medicine, orthodontics, oral pathology, endodontics, periodontics, prosthodontics, dental pharmacology as well as radiography.
    If you have any kinds of problem in your teeth, you must consult to
    a reputed dentist who has been achieved great feat for
    providing various kinds of dental treatments
    as per patients’ specific needs and requirements.
    It’s why we cannot afford to take our mouths for granted ever yet again.

41. Very good information. Lucky me I ran across your website by
    chance (stumbleupon). I have saved as a favorite for later!

42. This is really fascinating, You’re an excessively skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and sit up for searching for extra of your great post.
    Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks